Monday, June 27, 2011

how to make an endless opportunities dress

This is the dress from my last post. I bet you didn't know you could wear it a million different ways...
dress1

dress2
And there's still more ways. Cool huh?
Want to make it yourself? Here's how:
You will end up needing several yards of jersey fabric.
First make a circle skirt. Circle skirts are incredibly easy. There's a great tutorial over here on Made.
But stop just before you sew on the waist band. 
You're now going to cut two really really ridiculously long rectangles. 
Measure from between your chest to under your armpit. That's one of the sides.
Then take your height and add it to half of your height. That's the other side. 
Those are your two measurements for the rectangles. Cut 'em out.
You can now go on to sew on the waistband to the skirt, but also sew in the two rectangles.
I sewed mine on a slight angle so it would create a nice v-neck.
This dress is very forgiving and people with basic sewing skills can make this.  
Get creative with all the ways you can wear it as a dress. You can also hike it up high to create a tunic top or wrap the straps around your waist several time to create a skirt. 
Endless opportunities.

5 comments:

Sara Shoemaker said...

completely amazing, as usual. I am a Big believer in wearing one item a billion ways.


The House of Shoes

Krista said...

Oh me too!!! Except for underpants. One way. No argument :)

Kassie said...

I absolutely love this! I wish I knew how to sew!
Awesome job!

xocydcharisseox said...

i just made this today in all black and i LOVE it!

DaniSG2237 said...

I love this dress and I had my own little "my precious" moment about that fabric :) I just found your blog today and I love it. You're awesome!

Post a Comment